Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It's like falling off a horse

Teaching from horseback
I have found that the best way to get someones attention is to make a mistake or confess something. So today I am going to confess a mistake I made one day out riding by myself. About 6 years ago I was out riding behind my house in Orting and stopped for a moment to, well lets just say I needed to stop for a minute.... lol. You should never drink to much liquid before leaving for a horseback ride.

Anyway, as I was getting ready to mount up I was thinking of all the guys I had been watching on television and the energetic way they seemed to climb on to their horses. SO, of course I decided I should be getting on with a little more exuberance. Wow, I found out very quickly I had a little to much coffee in me... as I swung up, and over, and upside down. I wish I had a picture to post on this site to show you just how silly I looked. Somehow I ended up upside down with one hand in the offside stirrup trying to hold myself from falling to the ground. Important thing to note, I am about three miles from home. So here I am teetering from the stirrup realizing that I haven't got the strength to keep from falling off the other side of my horse upside down. All I can think of is hitting the ground spooking my horse and getting kicked in the head.


Well, as you can guess I survived the fall since I am writing this blog. I landed upside down on my shoulders, knocked the wind out of myself, and my horse never kicked me he just walked about 15 feet away and stood there looking at me trying to get my breath. I could hardly breathe as I was waving my hand and asking him to come back to me. It just goes to show we all make mistakes, some a little worse than others. Usually for me I find they can be avoided by stopping to think through what I am about to do... something I'm not always very good at doing.


Camping, with horses
Prepping for youth outing
Thankfully God knows all the mistakes I am going to make before I make them and the amazing thing is He still loves me in spite of not only the mistakes I have already made but even in spite of the mistakes I have yet to make. The really important thing I am working on learning is that He loves you the same way and calls me to love you and others the same way that He does.

No comments:

Post a Comment